Tuesday, December 15, 2009

'Tis the Season

“What will you shop for while in Rome?” I was asked this question a time or two before we left and I would always reply, “I plan to shop for my husband!”

I don’t care where you’re from or where you’ve been – the clothing produced in Italy is the finest in all of the world. Period. No arguing! This is my blog…

And shopping for men in Italy is an absolutely, heavenly experience.

First of all, Italians know how to dress a window. They have an experienced eye for color combinations, layering of textures, and merchandising multiple brands. Window-shopping is a favorite Italian pastime and a true art form.



Our favorite window destination in Rome is Cosimo Colonna. They understand how to catch a pedestrian’s eye and we always look forward to a destination close by so we can stroll past their latest creations. Cosimo Colonna exclusively carries quality Italian brands for men, many not found in the U.S. The sales staff are professional and efficient, and a tailor is always available. We’ve only been disappointed twice, when cashmere sweaters weren’t available in my husband’s size.


Right around the corner is a shop where we’ve spent a fair amount of time – Davide Cenci. The Cenci windows, which have been dressed since 1926, aren’t as beautiful as Cosimo Colonna’s, but they offer eye candy all the same. Cenci carries men’s and women’s clothing, shoes and accessories. The sales staff are skilled at helping you coordinate from their various departments, if needed, and tailoring is available. They offer their own line of gorgeous, quality clothing along with other Italian designers and a more inexpensive line – Ralph Lauren (Italians love Ralph Lauren, but we boycott it as it’s all made in China. Blech!) I haven’t made any purchases at Cenci for myself, but we’ve found some choice items for my husband.


Another favorite is Brunello Cucinelli. Cucinelli doesn’t offer a classic Italian dressed window – this company is very young and modern by Italian standards, however, the light filled space drips with luxurious cashmere textures, sure to draw you in. You can’t help but want to touch each and every item offered in the store. I know, because I’ve done it – more than once. When stepping into Cucinelli, you feel as if you’ve stepped into someone’s home. The staff are friendly and I think I could secretly live comfortably in the store for a short period of time. Cucinelli offers men's and women's clothing. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a tailor, as we've never needed one.

We’ve never had so much visual fun when shopping. And Spring windows will soon be on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment